Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Weekend, and then some, Review

We had another great summer weekend, although slightly quieter. On Friday night we harvested our peas and potatoes...and one lone carrot. It was nice to convince Anthony to come outside for a while - I've been teaching him how to build fires and light matches (Cub Scout prep you know) and he's getting pretty good at it. He got bored pretty quick with helping in the garden, but did ask if he could practice chopping wood again so that was exciting. We may have have eaten more smores too...


I harvested most of the carrots and beets a few days later. Last year the pickled beets turned out great, carrots not so much. With so much (ha) vast knowledge of pickling behind me, I'm going to do the beets again. I've also got a huge bag of cherries pitted and in the freezer waiting to become jam. I think I will spend the coming weekend in the kitchen!
 

On Saturday we had some friends over for a BBQ and I saw this amazing recipe on Pinterest that I really wanted to make. But like all things Pinterest, you have a 50/50 shot of it working out. Deep fried cream cheese stuffed cherries was in the fail category. It was quiet sad.
 
But then you have cute cats who roll around on the deck and 
make you smile and you forget about failing at Pinterest.

I started a sewing kick. I'm so excited to start my quilt with Christine, she's sending me the rest of the fabric in the mail this week and then we can start piecing our 2(?) year in the making transcontinental masterpiece. (More on that later) but basically it inspired me to get lots of little projects out of the way so I can focus on that when the time comes. That and the awesome fabric I bought on line that should be arrivng any day...I gots some busy fall sewing days ahead! While I wait, I made some hot/cold bags for the little. I also want to make Anthony a big warm bag as he likes to cuddle up with them under a blanket with a book in the winter (sometimes I question if we aren't related, seriously).

 I also, brace yourself, made some Christmas presents. Little pocket warmers!
They also double for some bean bag action, if you're into that kind of thing.

 AND, I made another baby quilt, pretty similar to the last elephant 
one but this one involved working around a very cute and cuddly kitty.
Sunday I spent at Fabricland gathering some pieces to supplement the upcoming quilting marathon, and hung out with Anthony playing board games and bocce ball. Now, we are well into the week and I have a few more little sewing projects to catch up on before the weekend, which may or may not require a sick day at work. We are off to Globalfest on Friday and Sunday (a huge fireworks competition) and so it is sure to be another great one!  Hope you are having a fabulous week too:)


No comments:

Post a Comment