Monday, June 25, 2012

June update

This, this is going to be random. I wanted to write something sentimental. Something smart, something inspiring. But I've been sitting here for almost an hour chatting with my sister on Facebook and my mind is full of none of those things. Instead, here's the last week or so in photos.

 Fathers Day: Pancakes and Avengers. All. Morning. Long. (we never eat in front of the tv. It was special)

I have decided to look at cooking dinner as more of an opportunity to hone my culinary skills instead of a chore. This way, things are much more enjoyable. This Sunday I made a roast (delicious), whipped califlower (not so delicious - mostly because the blender is no substitute for a broken food processer. Lesson learned) and procuitto wrapped asparagus (success!)  
 

 And for dessert, I decided "enough Pining, time to do something to justify those hours of clicking and scrolling" so I made this: Apple and Brie with brown sugar and cinnamon (that's the butter on top pre-wrap and bake). This is the before shot; I ate the after shot. I panicked and skimped on the apple, and let me tell you, don't skimp on the apple. Also, raisins would be a good addition. Just sayin' for next time...

 The house has been kid proofed. Tomorrow is our last home study meeting and we have been busy little bees, bolting down tv's, finding lock boxes for meds, fire extinguishers, baby gates, electrical plugs, first aid kits and the list goes on. I've been whining a little (ok a lot) about it, but really in the end it all doesn't matter. JUST GIVE US OUR KID ALREADY!!!!

Meanwhile, this kid went to his first sleepover camp. No parents, not even 1 out of 4 for a whole 30 hours. Phew. He made it and even had fun (a 7/10 if you ask him). That's good news since he's going to a 5 day sleep away camp in a few weeks...ready for the big leagues!

 I made a skirt! It was super easy, about 2.5 hours. I love it and want to make more but I have a quilt at the quilters that will need binding and another quilt that needs to get sewn together and and and about another 8 projects on my list so we shall see how many more summer skirts get done (that and I need to wait for a good sale at Fabricland!)

 About 2 weeks ago on an unexpected sunny afternoon I plunked all our seeds into our garden. Finally. And basically it's been raining ever since. Such is life in Calgary. Despite all the rain, things are growing already The novelty of growing things doesn't ever seem to wear thin for me. I love it. I think it's amazing. This year we expanded our garden and now are attempting to have  beets, carrots, radish, peas, lettuce, potatoes, and onion.Yipeee!
And because of all the rain, I've been doing a lot. A LOT. of this. We got a library card and have actually been twice, which is one more time than the last time we renewed the card three years ago. It was cozy and nice the first few days and now I feel like I'm going to loose my mind if I don't get some consistent sunshine back in my life. I also really need to the sun to shine because it's embarrassing how much time I've spent on Pintrest, particularly the last few days. Enough. Give me my summer!

There's my not sentimental, smart or inspiring post. I feel it brewing, it's right there under the surface, so maybe next time I'll blow your mind with some steller thoughts. Maybe not, but maybe....


No comments:

Post a Comment